Wondering what is the best way to clean fabric upholstery? Well, if you want to keep your fabric upholstery looking fresh and fantastic, act quickly if you spot a stain. But do ensure that the fabric is washable. Over 85% of furnishing fabrics are not! Then, follow the following steps:
- Mix together 1-part washing-up liquid and 4-parts warm water
- Mix them together until you have a thick foam
- Using a cleaning brush, gently work that foam into the affected area. As you do this, you should see the foam change colour as whatever has caused the stain is lifted into it
- Use a spoon to remove the dirty foam so that it isn’t rubbed back into the fabric
- Using a clean damp cloth, wipe away any leftover suds
Of course, there are specialist cleaning materials available, and you may choose to use those on your upholstery instead. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully, and make sure that you are using a suitable cleaning material for your particular fabric.
Please remember that you do this entirely at your own risk.
Do a patch test
If you are ever unsure about using a cleaning material that you have bought on your upholstery, do a patch test first in a hidden place! In fact, you should do this whenever you use a cleaning product for the first time. Try to do this on an area of your upholstery that is largely out of sight, to account for any negative results.
Keep up the cleaning
Keeping your upholstery clean isn’t just about spot cleaning stains whenever you notice them. You should carry out a thorough clean once or twice a year. Please note, many fabrics are “Dry cleaning only”.
We’re here to help
There are many reasons why you may not want to clean your upholstery yourself. Perhaps you just don’t have the time, or you aren’t confident working with older, more delicate fabrics. Or maybe you just want someone else to do the hard work for you! No matter why you need our services, we are here to help. Our experienced cleaning team can carry out anything from spot cleaning to routine maintenance cleaning, depending on your unique needs.